What is Retinol? Retinol is just a technical (or) fancy name for Vitamin A. Found in the human body – Retinol is the purest, most natural form of Vitamin A. Besides Retinol – Vitamin A goes by many different names such as retinoic acid, retinyl palmitate and tretinoin. Studies show that topical Vitamin A, when applied to the skin can be very beneficial to treat problematic and aging skin. Retinol is found in many anti wrinkle creams and plays an important role in anti aging skin care.
As the skin ages, the epidermis and dermis become thinner and more fragile – Retinol creams not only hydrate, but penetrate deep into the layers of skin, smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles, while stimulating collagen and elastin production, helping to plump up skin cells and thicken the skin. Retinol creams encourage the exfoliation of dry, dead skin cells by speeding up cellular turnover. This process encourages healthier skin cells to surface, making the skin softer and smoother while helping minmize and tighten pores – resulting in younger, healthier, more vibrant skin!
Though Retinol is widely used for the treatment of acne as the main ingredient in the prescription medication Retin-A for it’s ability to exfoliate the skin to help unclog pores and fade acne scars – Retinol has become exceedingly popular for it’s anti aging effects on dull, sun damaged, unhealthy mature skin.
Retinol creams are sold in several different forms, such as moisturizers, serums, lotions, peels, and even in some cosmetics, but the most popular form is in anti wrinkle night creams combined with powerful anti aging ingredients like alpha hydroxy acid, Co-enzyme Q-10, as well as Vitamins C & E.
Below are (5) Popular Retinol Creams/Serums that Score Very High Among their Consumers:
- Skin Medica Retinol Complex – This very popular anti aging Retinol cream combines three pro-retinoic acid (Retinol, Retinyl Actate, and Retinyl Palmitate) together with Vitamin E to speed cellular turnover and accelerate skin exfoliation. This advanced formula has a time-release delivery system which gives dramatic results with minimal irritation. Perfect for sesitive skin or for first time Retinol users! Skin Medica Retinol Complex is very reasonably priced, is a staff favorite and gets terrific reviews!
- Sothys Retinol 15 – This intensive anti wrinkle night treatment has multiple anti aging benefits! It has a unique patented Microsponge technology which releases the Retinol gradually into the skin, eliminating any irritation that some may experience initially at the onset of using a Retinol product. Works well for hyperpigmentation, age spots, wrinkled or blemished skin.
- EmerginC Multi Vitamin and Retinol Serum – This herbal and green tea based serum is loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin A (Retinol), Vitamin B complex, Vitamins C, E,F, H, & K. This incredible Serum helps diminish broken capillaries and redness associated with with rosacea. This muti vitamin serum can be used on all skin types but is excellent for red, sensitive or couperose (dilated capillaries) skin! Also, works great for men as a post-shaving serum.
- Topix Replenix Plus Smoothing Serum 2X – This Retinol based Serum combined with the anti aging and anti-inflammatory benefits of green tea and hyaluronic acid, a very potent humectant – has the perfect combination of ingredients to help you achieve healthier more radiant skin. So, whether you suffer from sun damaged skin, acne, rosacea, or fine lines and wrinkles, Replenix soothes, heals, repairs, and protects the skin. Topix makes 4 different potency levels – Topix 2X works well for people with sensitive skin, 3X is for normal skin, 5X is for tolerant skin, and 10X is the strongest formulation in the Replenix Line.
- PCA Retinol Renewal Phaze 26 – This NEW potent corrective serum features RestorAtive Complex, a unique blend of retinol and phyto-retinol that provide a multitude of anti aging benefits to the skin. PCA provides superior antioxidant benefits to protect the skin from photo-damage (skin damaged by UV exposure) along with moisture attracting humectants for healthy supple skin. This advanced formula is very useful in treating skin that is starting to show signs of chronological aging and environmental stresses.
PLEASE NOTE: Retinol anti aging skin care products come in different strengths. Retinol may initially cause warming of the skin, slight redness, or stinging for the first few days, especially at higher levels or if your skin is sensitive. So, it’s best to work up to a higher levels over time. When first applying Retinol products – Use EVERY OTHER NIGHT as directed – a small “pea” sized amount is usually sufficient. Applying too much Retinol may cause itching and skin peeling. If you experience skin irritation and/or chronic peeling, apply product less frequently or use a lower concentration until your skin adapts, or discontinue use. Also, keep in mind that Retinol can heighten sensitivity to sunlight, so it’s best to use a Retinol product at night time before bed, and then protect your skin when exposed to sunlight with a broad spectrum daily sunscreen SPF 30-45. But, don’t give up on the Retinol product at the first sight of slight irritation, as the skin generally does adjust quickly and the skin rejuvenation transformation that you’ll experience will more than likely, be well worth it!